プロフィールプロフィール   プライベートメッセージをチェックするプライベートメッセージをチェックする   ログインログイン 

Suggested settings for mintron frame integrating camera

新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English
前のトピックを表示 :: 次のトピックを表示  
投稿者 メッセージ
paul

登録日: 2011.09.05
記事: 1

記事日時: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 am    記事の件名: Suggested settings for mintron frame integrating camera 引用付きで返信

Hi

I run an all sky camera in the UK (~120 degree semi-fisheye FOV) and would like to add meteor detection functionality.

1) The mintron video camera used in the all sky camera integrates 128 fields/64 frames together. This means that 64 frames captured in a row will be identical (2.56 seconds of PAL). Unfortunately the "Frame Shift" "Diff" setting only goes up to 5 frames...

Can you recommend any settings that could help make the integrating camera work better with UFO capture? I already have "Frame Shift" "Tail" set to 128, and have also turned off scintillation, dark and slow object masks (as these don't seem useful with a widefield integrating camera). I have "Detection Level Noise Tracking" on DLration 200 (Full moon, can be lower normally), Min(frm) 2, MinDL 12, MinL-N 2. Detection Size 3.

2) Often captured AVI's seem to drop the rest of the frames after recording the first few. UFO capture seems to have attempted to capture more (as shown in the composite blue trails displayed in the *AlT.jpg file) . I am using XP with a 2.8Ghz quad core, 4GB RAM and 4 way Sata 7200 disk Intel RST RAID 5 array, There are some other background tasks, but these don't access the disk often and have minimal overhead on the CPU. Is it possible to configure UFO capture to avoid this issue - perhaps by buffering more frames to memory and then writing out to disk as time allows?

I have a spare sata disk that could be dedicated to UFO capture if this would help avoid dropped frames?

3) the camera and frame grabber (EZ-CAP 116 USB based on eMPIA 2861 chip) can work at 720x567 PAL - and other programs (such as VLC, YAWCAM, Microsoft Windows Movie Maker) all work successfully with this resolution, but I can only get UFO capture working with 640x480. Setting the resolution directly, or by using PF720x576N.ufi results in a UM021 error. Any suggestions?

The All Sky Camera can be seen here:
Last hour loop
http://www.beskeen.com/projects/allskycam/allskycam_lasthour.shtml
details
http://www.beskeen.com/allskycam.shtml

Many Thanks, Paul.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示   投稿者のウェブサイトに移動
SonotaCo
Site Admin

登録日: 2004.08.07
記事: 12653
所在地: 139.67E 35.65N

記事日時: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 pm    記事の件名: Re: Suggested settings for mintron frame integrating camera 引用付きで返信

Hi Paul

Thank you for difficult questions Wink

1)....
Well, there is no good way to use UFOCapture with integrating cameras.
Integration brightens background like fixed stars but not brightens
moving objects such as meteors. It results worse contrast/detectability of moving objects,
and un-measurable velocity. so it was out of consideration from the first.

Integrating/Frame stacking, color, all sky lens
-- these are top 3 points that many people want to use, but are very difficult.

2)....
Spec of your PC sounds good for 640x480, but just critical for 720x576/25fps.
Please try lower resolution at first.
If broken AVI happens even on lower resolution, there must be some other clear reason.
Possibilities are like below.
-- automatic HDD power off. (check HDD power saving settings)
-- automatic anti-virus/indexing/backup/recovery software access on creating new files.

If it happens only at 720x576/25fps, it may be the CPU power problem.
From my experience, Pentium4 3.2GHz or Core 2.4GHz will be safe for 720x576.

3)
paul wrote:
frame grabber (EZ-CAP 116 USB based on eMPIA 2861 chip) can work at 720x567 PAL .

I cannot imagine what is happening on your PC ( I don't know eMPLA2861 ).
PF720x576N was confirmed with IEEE1394 PAL 720x576/25fps.
UM021 happens negotiation between UFOCapture and device driver was failed using the assigned Xi,Yi and mediatype. So the setting of Xi,Yi should be precisely correct.
I guess it is 720x576 instead of 720x567, please check values again.
If it does not go well, it means the device driver does not provide 720x576 uncompressed video stream on DirectShow interface that is essensial for motion detection

SonotaCo.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Lightningwizard

登録日: 2007.10.19
記事: 165

記事日時: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:13 pm    記事の件名: Re: Suggested settings for mintron frame integrating camera 引用付きで返信

Hi Paul,

I have never used an integrating camera (I did make frame stacks) but I will share my thoughts.

paul wrote:

1) The mintron video camera used in the all sky camera integrates 128 fields/64 frames together. This means that 64 frames captured in a row will be identical (2.56 seconds of PAL). Unfortunately the "Frame Shift" "Diff" setting only goes up to 5 frames...

It shouldn't be a problem since it will still detect once in 64 frames a change between two frames, no matter if they are spaced 1 frame, 5 frames or 64 frames apart.

paul wrote:

Can you recommend any settings that could help make the integrating camera work better with UFO capture? I already have "Frame Shift" "Tail" set to 128, and have also turned off scintillation, dark and slow object masks (as these don't seem useful with a widefield integrating camera). I have "Detection Level Noise Tracking" on DLration 200 (Full moon, can be lower normally), Min(frm) 2, MinDL 12, MinL-N 2. Detection Size 3.

Tail of 128 means a pretty long duration movie. I don't see why you would want to capture movies in integration mode. What you could do is not save the movie at all (or erase them later), but keep only the trigger image (not peakhold but SnapShot bmp).
In addition, since there will be very little random noise in each image, your settings look way too insensitive to me. Try Detect Level Noise Tracking at ratio 100, MinDL 1, MinL-N 0, and keep Size very small. That way it should detect anything just one RGB value or more over the background brightness. If not you will detect only very bright events. Stars can move during a few seconds so I suppose it requires experimentation to see if those do not trigger. Scintillation mask would probably not work at all on a video stream of an integrating camera. It may be possible that the Slow Object Mask is required because it

paul wrote:

2) Often captured AVI's seem to drop the rest of the frames after recording the first few. UFO capture seems to have attempted to capture more (as shown in the composite blue trails displayed in the *AlT.jpg file) . I am using XP with a 2.8Ghz quad core, 4GB RAM and 4 way Sata 7200 disk Intel RST RAID 5 array, There are some other background tasks, but these don't access the disk often and have minimal overhead on the CPU.

hmm that's a faster processor and RAM and disk than I am using (Core2Duo 1.6 GHz, 2 GB, 4200 RPM SATA) and I can easily capture full PAL movies. Not sure what is going on in your case. What is the CPU load? In my case about 15-17% when not viewing the live stream, 25-30% when streaming. Are you using a certain codec?

paul wrote:

3) the camera and frame grabber (EZ-CAP 116 USB based on eMPIA 2861 chip) can work at 720x567 PAL - and other programs (such as VLC, YAWCAM, Microsoft Windows Movie Maker) all work successfully with this resolution, but I can only get UFO capture working with 640x480. Setting the resolution directly, or by using PF720x576N.ufi results in a UM021 error. Any suggestions?

Not sure about this one. Is your video device properly selected?

cheers,
Oscar

http://eurosprite.blogspot.com
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
特定期間内の記事を表示:   
新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

移動先:  
新規投稿: 不可
返信投稿: 不可
記事編集: 不可
記事削除: 不可
投票参加: 不可
このフォーラムで添付ファイルを投稿 できません
このフォーラムでファイルをダウンロード できます