SonotaCo.JP
SonotaCo Network Japan Forum
SonotaCo.JP Forum Index
homeTop Page  FAQFAQ   検索検索   メンバーリストメンバーリスト   ユーザーグループユーザーグループ   登録する登録する 
 プロフィールプロフィール   プライベートメッセージをチェックするプライベートメッセージをチェックする   ログインログイン 

NASA to release UFOCapture type software??
ページ移動 1, 2  次へ

新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English
前のトピックを表示 :: 次のトピックを表示  
投稿者 メッセージ
Robert J Cobain

登録日: 2006.04.25
記事: 79

記事日時: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:46 pm    記事の件名: NASA to release UFOCapture type software?? 引用付きで返信

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/03jan_lunargeminids.htm
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
SonotaCo
Site Admin

登録日: 2004.08.07
記事: 12653
所在地: 139.67E 35.65N

記事日時: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:37 pm    記事の件名: Re: NASA to release UFOCapture type software?? 引用付きで返信

Robert J Cobain wrote:

Oh! interesting. Shocked
Can I have vacation soon Question

Thank you Robert.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Robert J Cobain

記事日時: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:57 pm    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

We'll have to wait and see! Laughing
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Brian Howell

登録日: 2006.05.22
記事: 39

記事日時: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:10 am    記事の件名: Re: NASA to release UFOCapture type software?? 引用付きで返信

SonotaCo wrote:
Robert J Cobain wrote:

Oh! interesting. Shocked
Can I have vacation soon Question

Thank you Robert.

Unless their software is spectacular in it's features and abilities I think yours will still be better.

Hopefully I will finally get an observing station built this year, so I wouldn't want you to go on vacation just yet. Wink
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Robert J Cobain

記事日時: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:53 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hi Brian, I agree with you there, I would be very surprised if it was any better Shocked
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Brian Howell

記事日時: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:43 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Back in June of 06 I contacted one of the researchers about the equipment they used to image the meteor impacts. I've read that they are now using Meade 14" SCT scopes. Here is his response to my email.

"They used a 10 inch (25.4 cm) f4.7 Newtonian reflector with an Astrovid Stellacam EX camera fed a Sony digital 8 deck used as a digitizer. The telescope is located in a roll-off roof observatory at the Marshall Space Flight Center. The digital video was recorded to disk and was analyzed using custom software developed by Wes Swift."

Their software apparently doesn't detect motion to record an event, it just analyzes pre digitized video. I think UFO Capture still has an advantage. I don't know if UFO Capture is sensitive enough to detect a tiny flash and record the event over the large image of the Moon.

I've got a 14" Meade, when I get a camera for my observing station I might try it out with UFO Capture.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Robert J Cobain

記事日時: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:05 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hi Brian,

I have also sent an email to the Lunar impacts team concerning their equipment but I have not heard a reply yet, so thanks for the info. O well, looks like SonotaCo will have to cancel the vacation Laughing Robert.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Robert J Cobain

記事日時: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:51 pm    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hi all, I got a reply.. Robert.

Hello,

Thanks for your inquiry regarding our lunar impact monitoring program. As you have indicated an interest in participation, I am including a list of frequently asked questions (see below), along with what we consider to be our minimum hardware requirements (see attached pdf). I hope this will provide answers to your questions; if not, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best regards,

Bill Cooke
Meteoroid Environment Office
EV13 Space Environments Team
Marshall Space Flight Center, AL 35812
(256) 544-9136
william.j.cooke@nasa.gov

Frequently Asked Questions about Lunar Meteoroid Impact Monitoring

1) What kind of telescope and camera do I need?

The attached document describes what we believe to be the minimum hardware required to provide useful data. It also describes the system we use at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center. In general, you need a big enough aperture to collect the light from the relatively faint flashes and you want a large enough field of view to see a significant portion of the dark part of the moon. The more surface you can see the more impacts you will see. This drives you to a relatively “fast” optical system with short effective focal length. This can be accomplished using a focal reducer if your telescope is rightly f/8 or greater. Our initial work was with a 10 inch f/4.7 and we are now using two 14 inch f/8 telescopes with 0.33 magnification focal reducers. A sensitive black and white video camera is essential. Camcorders and webcams are not sensitive enough, but “astronomical” video cameras have the required sensitivity. A video frame rate is vital in order to detect the short flashes. Integration with a CCD camera will not work. Full exposure at frame rates of 30 per second (NTSC) or 25 per second (PAL) is necessary. The exposure time should equal the frame rate. In other words, there should be no dead time between exposures since a flash can appear at any time.

2) When should I make my observations?

Observations should be made when the moon is between about 10% and 50% illuminated on any clear night. This is a crescent phase to quarter phase. This includes both the waxing (evening observations) and waning (morning observations) phases. Between quarter and full phases the sunlit portion of the moon is too large and its glare reduces visibility of impact flashes. Phases less than 10% illuminated are so close to the sun that the moon sets too soon after sunset or rises too close to sunrise to provide much useful data. Also, the elevation of the moon is so low that atmospheric extinction reduces the detection of faint flashes. Meteor showers occurring when the viewing geometry is correct give a greater probability of seeing an impact, but we are interested in the sporadic background meteors. See FAQ #6 below for more information.

3) What kind of electronics do I need?

The attached document describes a system which we are using. Other hardware may work but the key goal is to generate video data which is compatible with the LunarScan software. Since timing is so important, either WWV audio should be recorded with the video or a GPS time stamp should be included at the start and end of the video. Carefully setting the time on a video recorder is important but usually is not adequate.

4) What kind of software do I need?

The attached document lists the software we use. In general you need software to record your video to your hard drive and you need a copy of LunarScan (soon to be available from us by request) to search the video for the impact flashes. It is possible to detect the brighter, longer lasting flashes by visually reviewing the video but it is very tedious and you are likely to miss many short flashes.

5) How do I know I have detected an impact?

The best way to know if you have detected an impact is correlation with another observer, hence the need for accurate timing information. There are many phenomena which can look like an impact: cosmic ray impacts on the CCD detector, electronic noise (especially if using analog video tape recording), satellite and orbital debris sunlight glints, and “point meteors” – those coming straight at you. If another observer more than about 10 kilometers away sees a flash on the same spot on the moon at the same time, we can safely say it is none of the above phenomena and is probably an impact. Also, if the flash is bright, persists for more than a couple of video frames, shows the right kind of “light curve” (bright followed by exponential fading), and is obviously not moving, it is most likely an impact.

6) Who is interested in my data and what will it be used for?

The NASA Meteoroid Environment Office at Marshall Space Flight Center is responsible for defining the meteoroid environment so that spacecraft designers can add adequate protection for their vehicles and any crew it may contain. It is important to understand the flux, size, and speed distributions of large (few centimeter) meteoroids impacting the moon and the resulting ejecta sprayed from the impact. Your data will help determine the flux.

7) How do I report my results?

Detailed reporting procedures will be provided to users of the LunarScan software. In general, we will need a few frames of video data around the time of the flash with an accurate (approximately 0.1 second) time determination. In order to photometrically calibrate the flash we will also need a few frames of video of a star (with its identification) near the moon, recorded within a few tens of minutes of the flash.

Cool Will LunarScan run under another operating system?

No. It is for Windows only. There are no plans to port to other operating systems.

MinimumSystemRequirements.pdf
 説明:

ダウンロード
 ファイル名:  MinimumSystemRequirements.pdf
 ファイルサイズ:  163.47 KB
 ダウンロード回数:  3210 回

トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
SonotaCo
Site Admin

登録日: 2004.08.07
記事: 12653
所在地: 139.67E 35.65N

記事日時: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:16 pm    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

It seems Brain was correct.
LunaScan might be only a detection sofware from stored video files.
No time shifting, no recording.

Oh, my vacation Sad Crying or Very sad
Thank you for a short dream Wink .
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Brian Howell

記事日時: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:41 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Thanks for the info.

The hardware requirements look to be fairly steep for most people. But the average person usually isn't interested in this kind of fun. It's a good thing I have most of the hardware already.

I'm still going to try to buy an EMCCD camera for my UFO observing station. Having an amplified CCD camera could help detect fainter flashes or allow me to use a smaller telescope. I've got to get my quad core system built first, hopefully in February after Windows Vista comes out.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Robert J Cobain

記事日時: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:54 pm    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hi all,

I have gone ahead and purchased the necessary equipment. I already have a 10" f4.8 equatorially mounted Newtonian. The extra items I have ordered are,

1 KIWI-OSD 2 video time stamper
1 Garmin 18 LVC GPS device
1 Watec 902h
2 Power supplies (Watec and KIWI)
Other bits and pieces

The total cost I reckon will be about £400 pounds sterling, which isn't too bad considering how useful this system is for occultation and meteor work.

Robert.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
thedavid2007

登録日: 2006.08.15
記事: 26

記事日時: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:32 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Robert J Cobain wrote:
Hi all,

I have gone ahead and purchased the necessary equipment. I already have a 10" f4.8 equatorially mounted Newtonian. The extra items I have ordered are,

1 Watec 902h
Other bits and pieces

The total cost I reckon will be about £400 pounds sterling, which isn't too bad considering how useful this system is for occultation and meteor work.

Robert.

Looking forward to seeing some of your results with the new equipment.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Robert J Cobain

記事日時: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:02 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Thanks David, It's going to be much more difficult that the usual meteor observing setups we have here. Visible impacts are not very common, the NASA observers reported 2 events in 20 hours of observations and I think that was during the Leonids. So lets just say that I will need to observe the moon for 10 hours before seeing anything. And the moon can only be observed when between 15% and 50% phase. Plus with our altlantic maritime climate, cloud is always going to be a problem. It may be several months before I get anything but, fingers crossed! Robert.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Robert J Cobain

記事日時: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:49 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

This is the Lunar impact monitoring NASA website

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/lunar/
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
thedavid2007

登録日: 2006.08.15
記事: 26

記事日時: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:28 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Robert J Cobain wrote:
Hi all,

1 Watec 902h
Other bits and pieces

Robert.

Robert, could you please tell me where your purchased the video time stamper?
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
特定期間内の記事を表示:   
新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English All times are GMT + 9 Hours
ページ移動 1, 2  次へ
Page 1 of 2

移動先:  
新規投稿: 不可
返信投稿: 不可
記事編集: 不可
記事削除: 不可
投票参加: 不可
このフォーラムで添付ファイルを投稿 できません
このフォーラムでファイルをダウンロード できます