Incorporating dark frames or negative masks

新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English
前のトピックを表示 :: 次のトピックを表示  
投稿者 メッセージ
minador

登録日: 2010.11.08
記事: 8
所在地: Vail (Tucson), Arizona, USA

記事日時: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm    記事の件名: Incorporating dark frames or negative masks 引用付きで返信

My camera has 10 hot pixels. They make it difficult to interpret real time camera output, and make it hard to align stars in UFOAnalyzer.

Can I create and use a dark frame to hide these bad data?

Or is there a way to create another mask to hide these bad pixels?

Are there any features in UFOCapture that can help that I am overlooking?

To handle this problem, I currently I edit the *S.jpg file and erase the bad pixels, but it takes a lot of time.

I also sometimes color the stars/constellations I plan to use for alignment in UFOAnalyzer. I run my camera with some noise. I think this helps me detect fainter meteors.. The noise makes it hard to align the stars, so that is why I color the stars I recognize (when erasing hot pixels, I also erase noise).

I also use a fisheye lens which requires the start field to be radically altered, which also adds to the difficulty of analysis. I know that UFOCapture isn't designed for a fisheye lens and understand that I am asking for difficult things. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mark

SonotaCo
Site Admin

登録日: 2004.08.07
記事: 12653
所在地: 139.67E 35.65N

記事日時: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:11 pm    記事の件名: Re: Incorporating dark frames or negative masks 引用付きで返信

Hi Mark
minador wrote:
My camera has 10 hot pixels. They make it difficult to interpret real time camera output, and make it hard to align stars in UFOAnalyzer.

Can I create and use a dark frame to hide these bad data?

Or is there a way to create another mask to hide these bad pixels?

Are there any features in UFOCapture that can help that I am overlooking?

To handle this problem, I currently I edit the *S.jpg file and erase the bad pixels, but it takes a lot of time.

You can use Detect Area mask for this purpose.
There is Detect Area mask pattern file name textbox in Video Trigger section of Input sheet of UFOCaptureV2.
Read manual to know its usage.
The mask pattern information will be transfered to UFOAnalyzer through M*M.bmp, and UFOAnalyzerV2 will ignore all masked area.
minador wrote:
I also sometimes color the stars/constellations I plan to use for alignment in UFOAnalyzer. I run my camera with some noise. I think this helps me detect fainter meteors.. The noise makes it hard to align the stars, so that is why I color the stars I recognize (when erasing hot pixels, I also erase noise).

I strongly recommend to keep high S/N, means low noise, such as 30db or higher.
Even brightness becomes darker, it will increase the sensitivity of motion detection, and it can avoid the UFOAnalyzer problems.
minador wrote:
I also use a fisheye lens which requires the start field to be radically altered, which also adds to the difficulty of analysis. I know that UFOCapture isn't designed for a fisheye lens and understand that I am asking for difficult things. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Problem is not lens type. Once I did a very good star matching on fish eye lens. There were almost one hundred reference stars because it was image intensified system.
So if you have enough sensitivity and S/N it is possible to measure on fish eye lens.
But, of course I am always recommending 60deg FOV lens or narrower. It is easy to get many reference stars on not-so expensive system, and the angle measurement resolution is much better.
-----------------
BTW
I recommend to use PeakHold image m*P.jpg/bmp instead of SnapShot M*S for meteor observation.
You can show Area Masked area as black on still image, try maskB checkbox. Though this is not in my recommendation.

DA720-480S9HSM.png
 説明:
sample of my mask pateern, (originally, it is bmp)
 ファイルサイズ:  9.82 KB
 閲覧数:  7242 回

DA720-480S9HSM.png

トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
minador

記事日時: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:43 pm    記事の件名: Re: Incorporating dark frames or negative masks 引用付きで返信

Thanks for your fast response SonotaCo!

I am now generating the PeakHold bmp file (m*P.bmp) - better resolution than the SnapShot! I was unaware of that option. I will use that file type for linking to the star map in UFOAnalyzer.

No I do not like the maskB because I lose my reference stars. Attached is an example of my m*P.bmp file. You can see I don't have many stars. Generally I can recognize about 15 of the brighter stars. I may go to a narrower FOV and aim to my partner (he runs 100deg FOV pointed toward me). I think that will give me better output.

I'm running a WAT-902H2 Ultimate with a Rainbow L163VDC4P. Not as good as the image intensified system you describe.

(I sadly learned recently that Rainbow is no longer in business...).

If I use the Detect Area mask to block hot pixels, I have to check "preview option" "Area" to hide the pixels in real time and on the m*P.bmp file. This is not my favorite way to display the live view, but I will try it to mask the hot pixels.

The hard part seems to be incorporating the hot pixels into the Detect Area mask using the Detect Area editor. I will try to find a way to merge the Detect Area mask bmp with an example m*P.bmp file.

Currently I only use the Detect Area mask to block security lights (though I am high enough that I generally have full sky coverage!). Sometimes I use it to block lightning storms.

I will change my high noise strategy and test results. This is all done with using the Video Proc Amp settings, correct? Or will I have to adjust the camera (difficult to work on the camera...).

Thank you for all the good ideas and fantastic software!

SonotaCo
Site Admin

記事日時: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:20 pm    記事の件名: Re: Incorporating dark frames or negative masks 引用付きで返信

Oh, I mistook, please forget about maskB, it does not concern Area Mask Embarassed .

I'm using WAT-902H2 Ultimate on AGC-LO. It gives moderate gain and fair S/N.
AGC-HI brings too much noise.

Everyone hopes wider view at first, but the problem is there is no fast(bright, small F) lens available.
Also, narrower lens brings very beautiful close up images, so they are loved by many observers.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
minador

記事日時: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:21 am    記事の件名: Re: Incorporating dark frames or negative masks 引用付きで返信

I am very certain I use AGC-LO also, but I will check the next time I lower my camera.

I want to clarify that when I talk about noise, I'm talking about the Video Proc Amp settings. Higher brightness & contrast (Hue & Saturation =0).

What specific lenses do you recommend in the 60deg to 100deg range? I know that Rainbow is no longer in business.

Thanks,
Mark

SonotaCo
Site Admin

記事日時: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:32 am    記事の件名: Re: Incorporating dark frames or negative masks 引用付きで返信

http://sonotaco.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2470
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
特定期間内の記事を表示:   
新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

移動先:  
新規投稿: 不可
返信投稿: 不可
記事編集: 不可
記事削除: 不可
投票参加: 不可
このフォーラムで添付ファイルを投稿 できません
このフォーラムでファイルをダウンロード できます