Meteor spectrum classifications

新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English
前のトピックを表示 :: 次のトピックを表示  
投稿者 メッセージ
Bill W

登録日: 2012.02.13
記事: 185
所在地: Glasgow

記事日時: Sat May 25, 2024 3:13 am    記事の件名: Meteor spectrum classifications 引用付きで返信

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe its been so long since I last posted...!

However I have been very busy developing some new ideas.

Now that there is the technology to capture meteor spectra regularly there was the problem of describing what we're talking about.

After studying over 1300 spectra that I've captured I came up with an idea for a new classification scheme.

I presented this last year at the International Meteor Conference in Radu, Belgium. The IMO have a video of my presentation and the paper will be in the conference proceedings.

I made a video for Youtube that describes the ideas.

The video is here: https://youtu.be/eLjvDPItRVA?feature=shared

My next project is a large format imager/meteor spectroscope based on a 39 meagpixel CCD camera with a 90mm lens. Stay tuned...

Smile

Cheers,
Bill.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示   投稿者のウェブサイトに移動
前田

登録日: 2004.09.01
記事: 2773
所在地: Miyazai JAPAN (E131.4, N31.8)

記事日時: Thu May 30, 2024 11:39 pm    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hello Bill,
I'm writing again after a long time, too.

I also continue to observe spectra. So I'm very interested in spectral classification.

I watched your Youtube video. The spectrum you show as examples had very good resolution and I thought it was amazing.
Spectra are currently classified in the Ma-Na-Fe triangle diagram. Your classification this time aims to make it even simpler.
Unfortunately, I couldn't attend last year's IMC. So please let me know the URL of your presentation. I'd like to refer to that as well.

Koji Maeda
トップに戻る
Bill W

登録日: 2012.02.13
記事: 185
所在地: Glasgow

記事日時: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:46 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hi Koji,

It is great to hear from you.

The idea came to me after talking to some friends about the problem of how to describe, at a basic level, what had been captured before conducting the usual analysis. This was primarily for quick information exchange before detailed analysis.

The IMC video is here: https://youtu.be/MCULrEkxsRA?si=Xu3hUwBBLsZGDNWB

The youtube video has a few extra images and I think explains it better though.

I try to go to as many IMC's as possible but I won't be able to make it this year due to work. However I'll be an online participant.

I've been catching some interesting meteors over the winter including Fireball event 1893-2024

There's some images on the IMO pages about this. I'm getting down to ~0.3nm per pixel.

Best regards,
Bill.
トップに戻る
前田

記事日時: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:38 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hi Bill,

Again, sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for the video of the IMC presentation.
On YouTube, I can display translated subtitles, which is very helpful for me as I am not good at listening to English. I listened to it several times.

It was very interesting. I didn't know that there are 17 types of classification these days.

I agree with your idea of ??classifying meteor spectra.
When making a catalog of spectra, a simple classification that can be judged with the naked eye is very useful.

I take 500 to 1000 spectra ever year. Although the wavelength range of the spectrum is only a narrow range of 400-800 nm.

I make catalog them by judging with the naked eye into 7 types based on Na-Mg-Fe. I used Borovicka (2005) as a reference.

The blue letters in the attached figure are N0-N7 ,Fe, and u, which can be unclassified. The judgments around the boundaries of each are quite arbitrary.

I will also show the results up to 2023.
I think the ratio is probably similar to Bill's results.

Thank you,
Koji
トップに戻る
前田

記事日時: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:39 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

Hi Bill,

On YouTube, I can display translated subtitles, which is very helpful for me as I am not good at listening to English. I listened to it several times.

It was very interesting. I didn't know that there are 17 types of classification these days.

I agree with your idea of ??classifying meteor spectra.
When making a catalog of spectra, a simple classification that can be judged with the naked eye is very useful.

I take 500 to 1000 spectra ever year. Although the wavelength range of the spectrum is only a narrow range of 400-800 nm.

I make catalog them by judging with the naked eye into 7 types based on Na-Mg-Fe. I used Borovicka (2005) as a reference.

The blue letters in the attached figure are N0-N7 ,Fe, and u, which can be unclassified. The judgments around the boundaries of each are quite arbitrary.

Thank you,
Koji
トップに戻る
前田

記事日時: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:43 am    記事の件名: 引用付きで返信

I was unable to delete the above two posts, sorry.

Hi Bill,

I agree with your idea of classifying meteor spectra.

Thank you,
Koji

triangle_1.png
 説明:
 ファイルサイズ:  54.59 KB
 閲覧数:  19 回

triangle_1.png

spectrm_class_maeda2023.png
 説明:
 ファイルサイズ:  19.58 KB
 閲覧数:  19 回

spectrm_class_maeda2023.png

トップに戻る
特定期間内の記事を表示:   
新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

移動先:  
新規投稿: 不可
返信投稿: 不可
記事編集: 不可
記事削除: 不可
投票参加: 不可
このフォーラムで添付ファイルを投稿 できません
このフォーラムでファイルをダウンロード できます